In the last Swachh Survekshan 2017, our Jodhpur city was ranked 209th for cleanliness out of 434 cities and towns, which essentially means Jodhpur still has a long way to go. Our dream mission of Swachh Jodhpur is still far. We, the proud Jodhpuries, need to focus and work hard to take our Jodhpur city to improve its ranking quickly in coming “Swachh Survekshan-2018” survey.
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, as part of the ambit of Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban), is conducting its third survey “Swachh Survekshan-2018” in January-March 2018 covering all cities across India. The objective of the survey is to encourage citizen participation and foster a spirit of healthy competition among towns and cities to improve their service delivery to citizens. One important component of Swachh Survekshan is getting YOUR feedback on the progress made by your city in achieving SWACHHATA within your city of residence and your neighborhood.
Being JODHPURITES, Let’s Check Swachh JODHPUR Mission
Since its inception, people have wholeheartedly embraced the Prime Minister’s Shri Narendra Modi ambitious project Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, which has objectives that include making India Open-Defecation Free by 2019 and cleaning the streets, roads, and infrastructure of India’s 4,041 statutory cities and towns. In this direction, many groups of residents, organization, and others in Jodhpur has taken it upon themselves to keep their Blue City clean through innovative means.
In the last survey, Jodhpur was ranked 209th for cleanliness in the nation, as part of Government’s ‘Swachh Survekshan 2017’ survey, which ranked top cities across the country based on urban sanitation. So, the Blue city still has a long way to go.
However, Jodhpuries, good samaritans of Jodhpur have shown that cleanliness drives and initiatives that need not always come from the top, and common people too take the helm in keeping their city clean.
JOSH Abhiyan (Jodhpur — Swachh, Smart, Harit)
On 26th January 2015, JOSH a project has been launched under the initiative of ”ÇLEAN INDIA”. This initiative was to meaningfully engage students and youth into running the campaign.
A door to door collection of household waste was started in many colonies with the financial support of residents. In commercial areas, owners of eating joints and other commercial establishments started keeping dustbins and waste was being collected by municipal staff on daily basis. However, impact at city level was still not visible and a majority of slums, market areas and public remained as filthy as ever.
JOSH Abhiyan Included:
- My responsibility to clean my surroundings.
- Domestic waste to be handed only to the vans and carriers provided by society committee.
- Disposal of wet and dry waste products separately.
- Recyclable waste to be disposed off separately.
- Roads and markets to be cleaned by self-initiation by putting the waste in provided bins.
The city of JODHPUR has been facing severe problems in the collection, transportation, and disposal of waste. The following were key issues—
- There was hardly any facility for a door to door waste collection in place in selected areas and people used to throw their waste on roads, corners, and vacant plots.
- There was also the practice of burning the plastics and other waste which posed a serious threat to environment and health of citizens.
- There was also a problem of perception as people looked forward to municipal corporations for resolving even petty issues and never thought of contributing their part.
Jodhpur Nagar Nigam Working for Swachh Jodhpur
The working of Jodhpur NAGAR NIGAM is like ”Sone pe Suhaga’‘ on the local public mentality. People as it doesn’t want to take initiative in this whole CLEAN JODHPUR campaign and all the more the govt doesn’t want to help it all. The campaigns were more focused on spending money on PR than actual groundwork.
There are few online portals to booked the complaints regarding basic facilities provided by the government. For better satisfaction and rapid action on issues, government has opened online complaints portals which work for all the residents of Jodhpur who are not satisfied with the work of Jodhpur Nagar Nigam, few of them are –
But if we visit these websites and have a look there are thousands of complaints which are not heard at all. Even Jodhpur Municipal Corporation website is not updated with the latest information and services.
Cleanliness vs Awareness vs Sustainability for Swachh Jodhpur Mission Campaign
The mission only states cleanliness. Ministers, MPs, Local leaders, film stars and school children took up brooms and started cleaning the streets but in a real sense, the cleanliness mission failed in below specific areas:
- Creating Awareness: We spread a lot of awareness into the cleaning aspect. Everyone started to do a cleanup drive to get mileage (political or celebrity). But we all collectively failed in building more awareness about the disposal of garbage. We still have people who throw away bottles, wrappers, garbage or even spit on the road.
- Sustainability: The mission failed to promote sustainability at a larger level. We promoted cleanliness but we never educated people about what to do with the waste or how to reduce the waste.
- Public Support: Junta is aware of the requirement of Cleanliness but when it comes to their part, they still want to clear their house and throw the waste on road or in the neighbor. Jodhpur Nagar Nigam failed to take strong and preventive actions for such people and also not able to provide the alternative facility.
These missions should have also emphasized on the right ways to dispose or recycle waste and promote sustainable consumption habits.
Sanitation vs Open Defecation Mission
This part of the campaign is widely successful. Govt funds for constructing Toilets, got subsidies and plans for basic construction, Celebrity endorsements and Bollywood movies have contributed widely to the success of the campaign in rural areas.
Vidya Balan’s radio ad, Amitabh Bachchan’s ‘Darwaza Band toh Bimaari Band’ campaign and Akshay Kumar’s movie ‘Toilet-Ek Prem Katha’ have all contributed to this. But, if we visit many parts of Jodhpur city, we will find that this mission is also not fulfilling the targets.
Citizen Duties for Swachh Jodhpur Mission
On completion of three years of Swacch Bharat Abhiyaan on October 02, 2017 Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi said ”The target of a CLEAN INDIA cant be achieved by 1000 Mahatma Gandhi, one lakh Modi and all the States’ CMs coming together but by the unity of this 125 crore people“. Simple, but important steps should be taken by us to keep our city clean:-
- Don’t throw your garbage in open. Wait for Municipal Corporation vehicle to collect that.
- Have proper dustbin in your house, shops, and offices for the different type of wastes.
- While traveling doesn’t throw any wrapper, paper or any dry waste on road. Keep it in your bag or pocket (as it is a dry waste you can keep them in your bag/pocket).
- Keep paper bags with yourself to store wet waste and throw them in dustbin only.
- Avoid spitting on roads (as it can be the reason for viral disease).
- Avoid chewing Pan-Masala, Gutka, and Tobacco at the public place.
- Avoid use of plastic bags.
- Follow government’s rules and regulations.
- If someone is breaking the rule then make them aware of it.
- Stop your friends if they are making such mistakes.
- Spread awareness to keep our city clean.
- Take active participation in Swachh Survekshan 2018 and submit the actual and correct feedback to appreciate the Swachhta and also share negative feedback to improve for next survey.
READ ALSO: Do Aapno Jodhpur Need Real Strengths?
Are Jodhpur governing bodies, Jodhpur Nagar Nigam, and others, working properly for the Swacch Jodhpur mission or something else which makes us down in Swachh Jodhpur? But it’s the only Government responsibility to keep the city clean or citizen also have some duties for this? Together with governing bodies, we have to prove that we are good Samaritans who are trying to take their city to the top may ensure that the city improves its rankings quickly.
So it has to be the people in general who can make any campaign for SWACHH JODHPUR successful by all the means.